Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Time Flies!

I can't believe that it has been 7 weeks since I started student teaching!  I feel like I haven't had time to catch my breath at all.

I have really been enjoying the "student teaching experience", much more than I thought I would.  I have been loving working with the students, especially kindergarten!  I am slightly hesitant about moving up to the high school and middle school in just over a week, but I am sure that those are just nerves and everything will be just fine. 

In the grand scheme of life, I am enjoying many aspects of being a teacher (even though I'm not really a full out teacher right now) but there are many trade offs I don't care for.  I love the students and getting to really dig into some topics with them sometimes and to just have fun with them other times.  On the other hand, teaching has consumed my life!  I have practically no social interactions with anyone my own age that are not over the phone, and I haven't seen more than 5 adults at the same time for more than 20 minutes at a time unless I'm at the grocery store.  This means that while I am surrounded by people all day, I am kind of lonely.  I get done with school and teaching privately and then I am back to my apartment to practice or prepare for the next day at school. 

Teaching is definitely a career that involves copious amounts of your own precious free time and I need to start getting a better handle on how to balance my life with it. 

The biggest downside to teaching and really the only reason I am not 100% committed to finding a full time teaching job right away is the lack of time I have to play my violin.  I went to college to become a musician and a teacher and right now I am more teacher than musician and I really miss the musician part.  I'll keep you updated about how my balancing act proceeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment