Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Waiting Game, and happy news :)

The applications are in, the auditions done (except for the back-up program) and now I'm waiting.  I hate waiting: constantly hoping to get accepted into my first choice, fearing that no one will take me, second guessing my choices on repertoire, remembering things that should have gone onto the resume, and mostly just not knowing where I will be in 3 months.  I'm a planner.  I knew which programs I was applying to by the end of December.  I had everything planned out as to when things were due and what I needed to practice to audition by the end of December.  I finished the first round of applications two weeks ago and the last round last Saturday.  I still haven't heard back from any of them.  Ahhh!!! I am almost tearing my hair out.  I can't plan anything past May 16, the last day of this semester.  I don't know if I will be keeping my apartment for the summer/do I need to put my things into storage?  Where will I be living this summer? Back in the CO mountains or the coast of Maine?  Where will I be living next fall?  I need to look for an apartment, but I don't know when I'll be back to sign a lease.  These are not small questions!  So, if you couldn't tell, I am super impatient and like to plan really far in advance.

While I'm stuck in this waiting game though, I have been listening to a huge amount of music, practicing like crazy, except yesterday (I gave myself a day off...I really needed it too!), doing LOTS of research for my term paper, reading a bunch of things about 20th century music, trying to figure out how to use up all of the food currently sitting in my pantry, and slowly catching up on all of the cleaning that I have been avoiding in the apartment for a while.  (December, I think, was the last time we truly did a deep clean)

I mentioned last time I would like to start a new weekly(ish) post.  I am pondering Music Mondays which would be anything short and sweet and music related: a link to a great performance on You Tube, talking about a new piece I just discovered, a quick composer bio, whatever catches my fancy... We will see how it goes :)

Today was spent avoiding the snow.  Stupid snow.  Stupid WI winters that go on forever.  (Ok, I feel a little bit better now.  Not much, but a little.  Seriously, why would you choose to live somewhere like this???)

I did decided to buy a new sewing machine though!!! So exciting :)  I love it so far: other than user error (I keep forgetting that I need to change the needle position when I turn it on which has led to a couple of broken needles) it is a pleasure to sew on it!  It runs really smoothly and quietly and I have had a lot of fun playing around with the fun stitches programed into it.  I stitched up the top of an adorable couch quilt I have had sitting in a bin for over a year.  Actually, I posted about it last February!  I still need to add the borders, but the rows are pieced and the applique flowers are laid out and pinned to the top.  The next step is stitching them down and then I'll add the borders, baste it (I'm seriously considering spray basting), and quilt it!  There are several new-to-me techniques I want to try on the remainder of this quilt: free motion swirls quilting, spray basting, and a pieced backing that will use up all of the remaining scraps from the fabric I purchased from the top.  The other projects I have lined up to test all of the wonderful new features of this machine are a zipper pouch for a dear friend, pot holders for me and my roommate, finishing the quilting on my bed quilt, stitching down the applique on the garden quilt block, mending my super cute tank top, finishing the quilting on a table runner with free motion stipples, and making an apron.  Yep, those projects pretty much cover the gamut of what I sew: bags/purses, clothes, household stuff, and lots of quilts!  They will probably also take me the rest of the semester to finish :)

Hopefully having Music Mondays will inspire me to post more frequently and have less wordier posts.  That's all for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment