Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Reality Check

When I was a kid, my mom was fond of telling both me and my brother to get a reality check when we would verbalize sometimes random and usually totally unrealistic ideas.  This was always said with love and affection and a smile to soften the blow of learning our "brilliant" ideas had either already been discovered or were not possible given our current understanding of the physical laws of the universe...sigh.  Now, though, when I ask for her opinion/advice, she is frustratingly not helpful.  Even with a reality check.  I suppose this comes from me being an adult (theoretically) and her trying to help me figure out who I am and what decisions I will make for myself, but you know what?  Sometimes I truly want to know what to do.  I have been offered an amazing opportunity, and I would absolutely love to seize it!  However there are some pretty major cons (including the need to borrow some, I'm not sure exactly how much, of the money to go) which led to me saying thank you, but no.  I am terribly conflicted, and the opportunity keeps coming back which is just causing me to agonize over the decision.  I haven't been this crazy about a decision since I decided to completely change my life track from astrophysics (yes, that is the correct term) to music in high school.  And these are no where near the same level of decision!  So now whenever I am sitting around, my mind keeps going over the possibilities.  I even made a pro-con list, but the columns are pretty much equal which is absolutely zero help.  How am I supposed to make a decision that I won't regret either way?

No comments:

Post a Comment