Pages

Monday, July 17, 2017

The Next Chapter

Hello!  You may have noticed my absence.  For a really long time... I just wasn't in a place that I had the inclination to blog (not to mention the time!) and rather than post junk, I opted not to post anything at all.

But I'm back for the moment because I have big news! Lots of it too!

For starters, I am getting ready to embark on the next chapter of my studio teaching by joining the faculty of a local Music Education Center.  I spent a long time thinking about where I want to go and what I want to do and this move is hopefully going to be a wonderful choice.  The MEC does a lot of music ed outreach and advocacy which I am very interested in supporting and I am really excited to have my lesson space be at the MEC instead of in my spare bedroom... So I get to join some really great teachers and musicians AND have a professional environment for teaching!  Huge move forward for my studio.  

I have decided to not teach public school anymore.  It was never really my thing, and I am very happy with the decision.  This way I can support my orchestra teacher friends as a sectional coach or guest teacher (not a sub, like a guest artist but teaching) and still be involved in the programs but I don't have to be going crazy/loosing my mind trying to make it all happen.  FYI, it didn't all happen.  Like ever.  This will give me the opportunity to really work on growing my business and have much more time to practice! 

I am planning to practice for/win some paid auditions in the next 6-18 months!!!  This has been a HUGE goal for me since I was 21 and figured out that I didn't want to be a public school teacher (yes, I knew that before taking several public school jobs.  Sometimes you have to pay rent...).  I have not been in a position to take the time to practice enough but I have plenty of students now so that is changing.  

But the biggest news of all???

I am going to Europe for a month!  I love to travel and have absolutely loved Europe each time I've been so I am beyond excited to go back for an entire month :) I decided to take advantage of no school job this fall to go when it is not high tourist season, and my parents are very generously letting me stay with them between when my lease ends, my trip starts/I return from Europe and when my new lease starts.  Basically I will have no place of my own for 2 months (unless you count my storage pod but you can't sleep in it so I'm counting it) which will save tons of $$ on rent and help finance this massive excursion!  When I first started thinking about it, I was shooting for 2 weeks. But in the end, I decided to really go for it and do 4 weeks.  

I will not be alone the entire time, one of my really good friends is starting the trip with me in London and then we will go up to Scotland.  She leaves to see other people, I stay in Scotland for a couple more days and then I meet my Dad back in London.  The two of us will see London, Paris, and Sarlat-la-Caneda together and then I will do valle de Loire and Paris (with a couple day trips) on my own. 

This is by far the biggest trip I've ever done that wasn't for a summer orchestra program and I am super excited to see how it all goes.  Keep watching here as I chronicle my adventures from prep, packing, and the trip itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment